Monday, April 24, 2006

Dirt and worms

My mom, right now, is sitting at home, with a look of unbelief on her face. Her little girl (me) who cannot stand germs, dirt, and the thought of planting something in it and then looking after it - is getting a garden plot!! We live across the street from a community garden site and I manage to fanangle one for this year. They are in high demand here in the big city, with all the condo dwellers that still want a "yard" and some green space. My friend Liz and I are going in together with three, one of which we are letting the kids have to plant and do what they want. Hayley is pretty pumped, with the prospect of planting a pumpkin for Halloween. I am glad that Liz will be there with me, as I am still a dirt virgin and need all the help that I can get.

This weekend was fairly uneventful, with work and just puttering in the backyard. We did head to a friends for a bbq last night, and am so glad that the sunshine is out and we are able to sit on the deck with some warmth other than the fireplace. Summer is coming here in Victoria - just one trip down to the city and you will be blinded by all the lily white legs sprouting underneath some really short skirts. Not me, I will hide undercover until I at least don't blind others with the mayonaise colored legs. Until next time......have a great day!

1 comment:

Anna K said...

hey, i take offense to your description of my lily white legs or as you put it, mayonnaise legs. yes i was in hawaii for two weeks not all that long ago but for me, ghostly pale is a way of life. i will be looking fabulous at 40 (oh shit that is coming up fast) no crows feet, no sun damage. oh too late.