Thursday, April 20, 2006

Deep thoughts...

Has anyone out there ever thought why they are parents? Your purpose, your mission, your objective that you are to carry out? I always marvel at those parents who are determined to raise their children as a vegetarian, when they themselves eat meat, or that the babies are going to wear only cloth diapers, when the family does not recycle. At some point in time you have to raise your children in the same facet that you were raised in, whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not. Your parenting style will in some way echo the way that you were raised. Albeit small or large, it will most likely follow the same trend.

What has caused me to think of this you may be wondering? I have been really reflecting on parenting since Hayley has started school. All the foundations that you begin to put in place, all the values that you instill in them are really put to the test when they begin school and are in amongst their peers. My hope and wish is that the foundation was built strong enough, that Hayley will be strong in her convictions, and her outlook and do right. Seeing all the kids, all the different parenting styles, all the LACK of parenting in some cases, makes me so glad that I am not in school anymore.

My hope is that I do right by my daughters, that I teach them to be strong females, to stand up for their beliefs and convictions, to feel honor when they look in the mirror. My desire is that they will appreciate the rules that we put on them, knowing that they are in place because we want them to be safe, protected and that we love them.

Things I am thankful for - sunflowers are beginning to shoot, days are getting longer and brighter and at the end of the day, I know that I am doing the best that I can to help raise my two girls, all with the knowledge that I possess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever you're doing, keep on doing it! You're obviously doing something right! Great post.

Anna K said...

ah sweety, thoughts too deep for me to even consider right now. I will ponder that later after the screaming, fighting she-devils are in bed.