Saturday, June 10, 2006

Welcome to our new and improved yard!

I am so excited, so I thought I would share with you. When we moved into our townhouse we had the most obnoxious back yard. Whenever it rained it smelled like a barn, there were buried dog toys everywhere, years of overgrown weeds and the grass was the color of hay. The first summer (we took possession in June) all we did was water and try to bring some moisture back into the soil, then last year I did nothing back there as I was so terribly sick. This year was the year! We have a HUGE rock back there and it had the basic attempts to have a tiered rock garden. It was terrible. We have been digging it up, including the old landscape ties, a massive root system and rocks, and have brought it back down to the rock face again. Then we evened out the bottom, raked up all the good soil and planted grass seed. I have carved out a small garden and lined it with antique bricks. My project for the week is to continue to dig a 8X8 area to line with ceder planks to have an inclosed play area with pea gravel as the "base" for the water table, sand box and various water toys. I will take photos when I am finished so we can show off our new "proud back yard".

To get the rock back to basic, without all the moss and various other ground cover, we needed to borrow the power washer from work. Roger spent the afternoon today powerwashing, including the cement pad. It looks like a whole new place back there!!!!! I am afraid to powerwash the front as we will probably take the paint off! I am so very excited, and makes me proud to drive into the driveway now.

We are having a big bbq tomorrow to show off the progress thus far, and will take many photos to share with you all. Hope that everyone has a great weekend!!!!

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Michelle it sounds AWESOME!!Hurry up already and post some pics!! Hope the BBQ is a fabulous time!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it. Oh wait, I'll be seeing it today!!! YAY!!!

Anna K said...

sounds awesome, can't wait to see the photos. Maybe this will inspire me to finish the 1001 projects that I have on the go.