Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentines Day has arrived....

Just for a change, and due to the day surrounding this post, I will write in red. I try not to do anything that requires a red pen, too many connotations about it; teachers marking tests, past due bills stamps, corrections on essays - all marked in red. Also, when you are "in the red" versus in the "black" and all the naughty lingerie that you can buy. Why is that red is racy and trimmed in maribou, all short and corset-like.....Oops I digress.

Today I woke up, came down and by the coffee pot was a gift and card from Roger (he starts work at 6am). This was the first of the surprises of the day. Hayley made me a card, so sweet in itself, but then later told me that, "Quinn would have made me one too, but she can't print yet, so this is from her too". Cue in the tears. Then Hayley and I proceeded to finish icing the cupcakes for school, and get ready to go. She looked so cute, dressed in her Old Navy beige skirt that has pink hearts on it, white tights, white turtleneck and black boots. Cute and grown up all wrapped into one.

I dropped off at school and then beelined for the nearest Future Shop, alas, Roger did not have a gift as of yet, although my theory is to celebrate the holidays the DAY AFTER, then all the chocolates are half price (not to mention all the Halloween costumes, but I would never live down sending my kids out trick-or-treating on November 1st, all to save a dollar). He is getting a case for his Ipod Video (romantic), and a card (not home made, as he HATES them). No overpriced flowers, chocolates or cinnamon hearts here. Until tomorrow that is.....

Here is the best part of my day...picking Hayley up from school she gives Roger and I a Valentine card that she made in school. On the back it says, (and I quote directly), "To mommy and Roger, happy valentines day, love hayley. I LOVE BOTH OF YOU". By the end of the card I am now a heap of tears. This is the FIRST time in the history of my relationship with Roger that Hayley has not only included him in a card, but said that she loved him!!! We are making progress here on the blended family....There is hope. She does my heart proud, in her own time, in her own way, she has allowed him into her life, accepted him and now loves him. Makes me love both of them more.

Tonight after dinner we are having a sitter come to the house so that Roger and I can go and have a drink in the neighbourhood pub. I am looking forward to getting him all to myself, even if it is surrounded by other lovy dovys all holding hands and staring into each other's eyes....Gross.

No comments: