Sunday, December 09, 2007

The curse of the household appliance

Ever get the feeling that your vacumn sucks? But not in the right way, not in sucking up dirt and debris, but just sucking in general?? It is maddening, as I lug it out, plug it in, turn it on, and proceed to push it back and forth - in hopes of it gathering up all the crap that has collected on my rugs. All the while my youngest princess is running and screaming like a banshee - for she thinks that it is cause for a party.

Then after I put the said appliance away - I walk on my rug and spot fluff, bits and scraps, a polly pocket shoe or two, and popcorn kernels. Obviously it needs refreshing on it's job description. When you vacumn, you are to collect the dirt. Not move it to a new spot on the rug.

Here in lies the dilemma. It is close to Christmas, and in no way, shape or form, am I getting a new appliance for Christmas. Hell will freeze over and I will ice skate pairs with Satan before I get up on the 25th and see a Dyson sitting there under the tree. Why not just accompany that with a new broom and a garden hose? Ya, what every girls dreams of. Not.

So with all the added work that the vacumn will have now that we have our Christmas tree up and it is shedding needles like a angora bunny - let's see how long the beast lasts.

We do have hardwood floors in the majority of our downstairs, I could always invest in a hokey - you know the broom-like thing you see in the restaurant industry. How cool of a mom would I be to ask my oldest daughter to "sweep" the carpet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a new Dyson too although I would be thrilled to receive one on Christmas morn (those suckers are $600 or more).

I spent many hours "sweeping" the carpet at the movie theater. Do you know how hard it is to sweep smushed popcorn off a rug?

Lynn Barry said...

I use an electric broom, not very expensive but it does the job...HUGS