Friday, July 13, 2007

Time for me

Well, I have be coerced. Pleaded with. Talked to repeatedly. Nagged.

I gave in. Just to stop the incessant noise. Just joking Mel. She only had to ask me once. That is how easy of a girl I am. Roll with the punches, peer-pressure, in-depth fear of saying no and disappointing. Yep, that is me.

What did I say yes to you are probably wondering???? To the half marathon in October. To commit to running on a program, with someone three times a week. I have to admit - scared shitless right now.

You see, I used to run. Used to being the oprative word. When HP was one, I turned 30. That is the year that I ran a lot. Training for the Garden City 10K and even managed to do it in under an hour. I even enjoyed the feeling of completing my first road race, losing some of my baby fat in the process.

So I began to run again on Monday. And here it is, Friday morning and already I am embarking on a whole different world again. The running world. I run with my friend Mel, who encourages me, makes me laugh, and never, and I mean never, makes me feel like I cannot do it. Even when it is freaking hot out, I am red and blotchy in the face, panting like a sick dog.

All this, and we have not even left the house yet.

Wish me luck girls, in my training for this.

Meanwhile I will be getting my kicks out of the post run boozy drink in my back yard. It is still the best part of the run as far as I am concerned.

4 comments:

Anna K said...

Ya, could ya do an extra lap or two for me. I'm having trouble untying this couch from my arse!

Good for you! My knees ache just thinking about pounding pavement. I'll cheer for you though.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Michelle, just remember that I know where you live when you don't want to go running with me...I will drag you out and I expect the same from you when I am feeling like being a big ol' lazy lump! This is gonna be so much fun and remember that I let others take huffs on my inhaler if they want...

Lynn Barry said...

Good luck to you. It certainly does help us to have things for "us" since we spend most of our time on "them"...no regrets, but we do have to take time for...the ME! Hugs.PS got good running shoes?

Lea Ray said...

All I can say is better you than me. Good luck on the race I know you can do it. Can't wait to hear how you make out.