Sunday, July 09, 2006

FAMILY

Definitions of family on the Web:

-a social unit "he moved his family to Virginia"; "It was a good Christian household"; "I waited until the whole house was asleep: parents and children; "he wanted to have a good job before starting a family"
-people descended from a common ancestor; "his family has lived in Massachusetts since the Mayflower"
-class: a collection of things sharing a common attribute; "there are two classes of detergents"
-an association of people who share common beliefs or activities; "the message was addressed not just to employees but to every member of the company family"; "the church welcomed new members into its fellowship"
-(biology) a taxonomic group containing one or more genera; "sharks belong to the fish family"
kin: a person having kinship with another or others; "he's kin"; "he's family"
-syndicate: a loose affiliation of gangsters in charge of organized criminal activities (this is my personal fave, one that makes me laugh at the thought of me and my mom robbing banks together in the sake of the family....) I guess the family that plays together stays together......

So once googled, this is what popped up in regards to family. Today I had the opportunity to rethink what my initial thought on family was and as it turned out, family has taken on a whole new meaning. I won't elaborate, other than saying that I have an "extended" family in which Hayley calls aunty and uncle, another that is Papa Gilles, and "just Marleen". This is the same family that Quinn regards as Papa Gilles and "just Marleen". This is over and above Gamma and Poppy, Nana and Papa and numerous other auntie and uncles. Family can be who you have dinner with, who you trust with your life and child and your best friend. They can be someone that you no longer share a name with, but still see every week, someone that came into your life unexpectedly and you have grown to love and respect, and someone that has been there since the beginning of a memory. Family is someone that has left a lasting impression on your heart so deep that time will not erase. Family is just that - family.

Now you are all wondering what brought on this sudden wave of deep thought - well some things are best left unsaid, for those that know, I am paying tribute to those I am fortunate enough in having in my family. For those that know me best, then they know that I am better at putting my feelings to paper (or in this case - screen) than EVER talking out loud to them. I thank God for my family, in whatever definition mine falls in. Now I will sign off and peek on my two beauties, and snuggle with my family that I call MINE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, that was really nice to read Michelle. It makes me want to think about MY definition of family and be so very fortunate to have what I have. Thanks, you.

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»